Friday, November 23, 2007

H2 blockers and Gallbladder stones

The day before thanksgiving I get an uneasy feeling in my tummy. It started right after I woke up and progressively worsened the following hour.

I'd had this type of pain before once while navy was around while we were driving back from his parents house - which ended in me pulling over, having what seemed like a panic attack (crying, gasping for air, etc) and navy having a deer-in-headlights-look on his face trying to figure out how to help.

At that time I convinced myself it was some type of horrible reflux and drank maalox which seemed to help my symptoms. Yay burping.

Anyhoo - this time the pain came back and I ended up in the emergency room... mid panic attack phase, clutching chest, and babbling on about my symptoms to the ER docs who smiled as I gave my HPI and asked what year in medical school I was in.

Was it that obvious in my delirium?

So the ultrasound showed light shadowing in my gallbladder which had them recommending more tests, but my symptoms were diminished by the use of H2 blockers which diminished gastric acid secretion.

I don't really get what that means. If the H2 blockers where what helped, then I'm really freaking out about my test and possibly giving myself ulcers. If I just passed a gallstone - that means I probably have some issues with it and will need to have it removed prior to taking my test (which is very VERY soon).

I don't have time for medical issues before my medical boards.

no bueno.

No comments: